A major fire tore through the main floor of a south Vancouver home on Thursday night, sending three people to hospital. Firefighters were called to the scene of the fire, which broke out just before 11:00 p.m. at the two-storey home on East 50th Avenue between Fraser Street and Knight Street.
A senior couple and an adult male living in the home were sent to Vancouver General Hospital. One male, suffering from severe smoke inhalation, was in more serious condition than the other two family members. Another had minor burns and the third also suffered from some smoke inhalation.
Battalion Chief Ted Kadagies said there was extensive damage to the rear of the house on the deck and the main level of the interior.
”It was a tough fire to fight,” Kadagies said.”Crews reacted quickly and got a quick jump on it and knocked it down fast and prevented it from further damaging the home.”It was fully engulfed at the rear when the crews showed up.”
Neighbours heard loud popping sounds outside. Two men ran outdoors to assist the last remaining person inside the burning building, said neighbour Harpreet Dosanjh, who called the fire department. Fire crews were on scene within minutes of her emergency phone call. By that time, all three occupants were out of the house.
”It was all black, you couldn’t see anything,” Dosanjh said of the smoke that engulfed the house. ”The grandpa’s face was covered in soot. It was insane.”
The cause of the fire was not immediately clear. The fire inspector, attending another emergency elsewhere in Vancouver, was expected to arrive later.
What appeared to be a power cable was on the ground sparking at the time of the fire but it was unclear whether that was related to the cause of the fire. BC Hydro arrived on scene shortly after midnight.
Reported by Charlotte Drewett